Charles William Deidrick Prange

Captain Charles William Deidrick Prange was born near Mindon, on the Weser river in WesFallen, Prussia, July 1st, 1815.

He was brought up on a farm until he was sixteen years of age, when he enlisted in the 15th regiment, 1st company, and served his term in the army, as all males must do according to law.

He came to America when he was about 21 years old, first going to Indianapolis, Ind., then he moved to Terre Haute, Ind. Afterwards he went to St. Louis, Mo., then he moved to Springfield, Ill., where he became acquainted with, and finally married Miss Maria Archiball on the 26th of June 1842.

After living in Springfield some years, he took his family back to his old home in Prussia, but returned in a few months to America, going direct to St. Louis where he lived some time and then went to Galena, Ill., where he lived till the fall of 1849, when he started to California by the Isthmus of Panama route, landing in San Francisco, February 1850.

He remained in the Golden State three years and then returned and purchased a farm in Davis county, Ky., where he lived the life of a farmer until the great civil war broke out in 1861, when he enlisted in the 3rd Kentucky Calvary Co. "F".

After the battle of Pittsburg Landing, he was sent back to recruit men. He raised a company which was mustered into the 35th Kentucky mounted infantry as company "D", and he commanded the company until he was wounded at Gledisville, West Virginia, from which he never fully recovered, and which was a principal cause of his death.

He served his country faithfully and well until the expiration of his term of service when he was discharged December 29, 1864.

[ From the Louisville Democrat]

Morganfield, Kentucky May 9 1864
Our little town came very near being the center of a battle a few days since. A Confederate force of thirty four men under Captains Wallace and Thomas, suddenly appeared in the streets. They had left Forrest's command back of Paducah, and had made their way thus far eastward in the pursuit of a gang of Starling's Yanks, as they said.

The Confederates had scarcely time to reach the village limits with their rear guard when a Federal Force of Forty Four men, under Captain C.W.D. Prange, of Col. Starling's regiment made their appearance at the other end of the village. On learning that a rebel force was so near, Captain P. ordered a charge. His command swept through the village like a whirlwind, overtaking the enemy within half a mile of the village. In less than twenty minutes; in a running fight of four miles, the guerrillas were thoroughly routed.

Captains Wallace and Thomas were both killed. The entire loss of the guerrillas was seven killed and the usual proportion of wounded. Most of the latter disappeared immediately after the fight. The Union loss was one killed. Not more than one-third of Prange's men could get into the fight on account of the jaded condition of their horses.

Lieutenant Thomas Y. Hampton, Orderly Sergeant Albert Short, Corporal P.W. Richardson and a youngster of seventeen, named Lashbrook, were foremost in the fight. Having fresh horses they outstripped their companions and for a few minutes had to sustain a charge from the main body of the enemy. Lashbrook killed one of the enemy with the butt of his gun, after having discharged it ineffectually. Johnson, of Marshall county , Ky. and a A.J. Gray, were the names of two wounded who have since died. Prange is a fighter, and deserves promotion. H.

Story submitted by Scott Vandever (Great-Great Grandson of Captain Charles W. D. Prange)

Site by 3FIVE